Sunday, April 22, 2012

Goodbye Bolivia

This was my last night in La Paz.  I have spent today sharing time with some great friends and family that I've gotten to know and love over just my short time here.   I'm so thankful for the HOPE team that is working so diligently and full of the Spirit of God to bring people to Him.  Their goal is to love the people of this city - the poor and the rich, the children in the orphanages, the taxi drivers, those who know Christ and those who don't, the doctors, nurses, hospital staff at Arco Iris - so that they may see God and glorify Him.  They are giving their hearts and being strengthened by God daily.  I'm also blessed by the friendships I've made here, both in and out of the hospital.  Many have been asking me about the one big thing that I've liked the most about La Paz.  I'd have to say it's the people I've met and the relationships I now have.  There are many needs here and many opportunities for any and all of us to serve.

To wrap up a few things on my last blog from Bolivia (unless something crazy happens at the airport tomorrow!), I now have experienced Bolivian karaoke, have taken every form of public transportation in the city, have walked from one end of the city to the other, have tasted a saltena (like a handheld steak pot pie), had a Bolivian doughnut, drank the best limeade in town, and climbed up a mountain next to the President's guarded house to get to the bridge that connects the city so we could cross on foot.  All of this was done under supervision of course, with the help and guidance (and encouragement!) of my two good friends... and carrying a plastic sack of mega popcorns so that I can bring them home for someone special (starts with a T-h) to taste. 

The people are great, but I can't say that I like the food here.  Some of the best food I had was cooked by my friends for dinner both on Easter and tonight, and it wasn't Bolivian!  Tonight we had tacos, chili, rice, beans, chips, and salsa.  Yum!  I can't wait to have a pizza again, to be honest.  I'm sure I'll have interesting stories from the airport tomorrow morning where Bolivian time will again be in action as I wait in line.  More to come...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment