Friday, March 30, 2012

Airports

These bustling, hectic, and unique establishments are such interesting places.  Even in Raleigh, NC you can find such a variety of people headed in different directions or, more surprisingly, the exact same city as you.  Well, I haven't found anyone else going to La Paz, Bolivia yet except for me, but I'm not asking around necessarily.  I found most people on the plane were headed to the Keys or one of the Caribbean islands for vacations.  Fun!

I'm writing this in the Miami International airport.  Current setting: a table against a wall next to a coffee shop.  No plugs to be found.  I'm paying $8 to use their Internet, and they don't supply plugs except for once in a 1/2 mile stretch of the terminal where there's a column self proclaiming to be a "media center" where there are 3 plugs available.  What I'm hearing and seeing: a man walks by audibly huffing and puffing to get to his gate (hope there was no chest pain involved), Spanish words fly all around as tall tan ladies in strappy high heels push through the crowd in short skirts, techno music in the distance, a wall of faces of 100 Miami Latinos looks down on me ("A Journey of Success"), a nice African American man asks me about Internet access, a hot pink shuttle flies by carrying people, and I see the 10th person holding or reading Hunger Games.

That's right, Hunger Games is everywhere!  For those of you that don't know, the Hunger Games is a book that has recently been made into a movie.  It's a part of a series, and I think that since the movie's now out, it has exploded into everyone's personal novel collections.  It's in my purse right now, it was in the man's hand behind me in security, and I have reason to think that almost every individual in the airport has it hidden somewhere on their person (if they know what's good for them).  Gotta see that movie when I get back!

Speaking of security, what an experience!  I feel that almost every person, after going through security, has some very mild form of PTSD, or maybe just anxiety reaction.  There's so much pressure to perform!  I'm working on perfecting the skill of removing my shoes and taking the laptop out from the backpack while placing 4 buckets on the assembly line all at the same time. 

Well, I'm now about to embark now on the challenge of finding food that is appealing and yet not extremely expensive.  The main choices I've seen so far include a few different types of Mexican restaurants (usually the word "Tequila" is in there somewhere), mixed with Manchu Wok and Nathan's hot dogs.  We'll see what happens! 

No comments:

Post a Comment